Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Sticky Sweet Christmas Candy starring Sweet Screams Frankie Stein

No cute poem for the followup to my  Sweet Screams Ula post. But I am doing full captions for this one! Let's get started!
Well now, this is all rather peculiar.

Frankie isn't quite herself... and yet this couldn't be any more "Frankie" if it tried. Peculiarity isn't foreign to paradoxes. In fact, they go together like Twizzler straws and soda! (Yum!)

As you can see, Watzit has been reinvented as a "candy canine". I know, puns. Just go with it!

Frankie's purse is wrapped candy with a semi-cute, semi-threatening face.


It's whimsical, but in a surreal way. Much like the doll itself.

For her faceup, Frankie wears eyeliner above the eye that is the same shade as her skin, while below the eye the liner is a purplish-blue. Bold red shadow surrounds the entire eye. Blue curlicues that I'm assuming are meant to be frosting run under each eye. These perfectly match her eyebrows in color. Her lips are diagonal stripes of red and blue. There's no shimmer or glitter here, which is probably for the best. This is already a very busy faceup without any sparklies involved. Beautiful, striking, and unique, but also very busy.

Her hair is extra-long and is mostly white, with a few black streaks and -- most excitingly -- vibrant red streaks as well! The texture is extremely soft, even for Frankie. It's very silky.

She has a massive bump front and center, held by a black and grey lollipop with red and black peppermint charm attached. Her bangs are striking black and white stripes, tying into the peppermint stripe theme.

She wears a black and white striped cocktail dress. The skirt is pleated and a layer of tulle rests underneath, ending in sparkling "fur" that hangs below the skirt. Cinched over this is a red, collared jacket of "pleather". It has half sleeves that end in black cuffs. A black and red tie is molded to lay just so over the bust. It's the piece that truly pulls this busy look together, in my opinion. Well, it and the belt.

Speaking of, the jacket is cinched by a solid black belt of swirling, dripping candy. On her right hand she wears a red fingerless glove paired with a red bracelet. On her left is a black fingerless glove paired with a swirling red wrist cuff.



Her shoes are solid black, chunky heels outlined in tiny red icing puffs. Red, dripping candy wraps her feet and calves, with an occasional icing rose thrown in for good measure.

I doubt I'll be taking this doll out of her outfit. First of all, it's too pretty to "muss up" by removing it. Secondly, her design is so specific I'm not sure how she'd translate in other outfits. I'm sure some of you outfit visionaries out there will come up with some great stuff, but my doll will be sticking to her SS outfit. Ditto for my SS Ula, by the way.

Great job, Mattel! This is easily one of the best lines yet. Can't wait for Wave Two! But in the meantime, let's all enjoy these wonderfully creative new Frankie and Ula dolls we have upon us.

Happy Holidays!

13 comments:

  1. Like her a lot. Not gonna buy her or SS Draculaura, but Frankie certainly looks oustandingly outrageous like that. Very bold, funny and fierce. This is a great look for her. Red colors works wonders for her, especially in her hair. She's currently the best doll in the SS line. She gives a really strong Harajuku vibe. Amazing. Can't wait to see what SS Ghoulia and SS Abbey will be like. And in my dreams, I'm envision a SS Spectra, SS Lagoona and a SS Rochelle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm totally digging all the red on her. I also liked seeing it on her ILF doll. Basically all the bold primary colors tend to work very well for Frankie. I hope someone who has her puts this outfit on an Operetta -- I'd love to see that look! You just know Oppy could work this outfit like nobody's business! Both dolls have a strong Japanese vibe to their makeup and clothes. They're both two of the best outfits we've ever gotten for MH, and the line overall is so creative, from the style to the clothes to the setup and the booklets and box art. I might actually prefer these over the Power Ghouls. :-O

      Delete
  2. When I went to Comic con last year, Sweet Screams Frankie and Draculaura were the best dolls there and I could not wait for them to come out, and hoped they would look as good as the prototypes...and they totally are! This theme is right up my alley as well. Hope I can head to Target with Christmas money in hand! Also, I sent you an email a few days ago, did you receive it? Hope you had a merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agreed! In my SDCC write-up I even said I was as excited for the SS dolls as I was the new character dolls, and I meant it. I'm glad they look as good as the prototypes. All too often the manufactured dolls can disappoint compared to the protos, but not here. I did get your email, and have responded back. :) Merry Christmas, Helena!

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah I forgot about the new dolls haha. I was really looking forward to Honey Swamp when I first saw her. Her hair, mouth and eyes are amazing! I liked Clawdia because she would be the second ghoul to wear glasses, and the first ghoul with an open smile! I love it when Mattel does thins differently :)

      Delete
    3. It's kinda easy to forget about the new characters when you have these outrageous dolls around! At this point I'm most excited for Viperine. Love her lustrous white and frosted pink hair, and fierce snake eyes. But Honey ain't too shabby, is she? ;)

      Delete
    4. Of COURSE I love Viperine! But she wasn't unveiled at SDCC 2013 :( I meant the dolls that were revealed then

      Delete
    5. Good point, Helena! I'm just obsessing over Viperine atm lol :)

      Delete
  3. That red bracelet is forever bugging me. I want it to be black! XD But she's just gorgeous, John. Great pics, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also! I tried to post you a lengthy Christmas greeting on your last post and the form kept eating it *shakes fist angrily at it* I was hoping they were going through anyway, but I don't think they were, as they never appeared on the page. So please forgive me for the lateness of my Christmas greeting!

    I've very much enjoyed your blog throughout the year, John. Your reviews are always fun and engaging, your photos are gorgeous, your love for our ghouls is infectious and charming. You're an awesome blogger and an all-around great guy, and I hope you had the merriest of Christmasses and that the new year holds lots of new dolls, music, fun, laughs and love for you :) Thank you for being you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry about that, Shari. Blogger can be a real butt sometimes. The same thing's happened to me many times and it's the worst. >:-( Anyway, thank you so much for the kind words. It means a lot to me. I try my best and hope people get some joy out of it! I'm always glad to hear when people do because that's the whole point of this ramshackle enterprise in the first place! Thank you for being you too, Shari -- your support has not gone unnoticed! :) No worries on the belated Christmas greeting -- and right back at ya!

      Oh, and totally agreed about the bracelet -- it totally throws off the color asymmetry. Not sure what they were thinking on that one!

      Delete
  5. I think something went wrong with my comment on SS Draculaura, because I see it hasn't appeared there yet. I wanna complement you on the rhyme you made for her, I very much enjoyed it! This line is just so great! I love both dolls so far. I was watching Tim Burton's Charlie and the chocolate factory a few days ago and had to think about Sweet Screams the entire time, haha! I also feel this is the best line MH has done so far, and I look forward to new dolls being added. Great articles on both dolls!
    And Santa must've been looking over your shoulder when you bought these dolls!
    Again, best wishes for the new year (just in case my comment on Catastrophe doesn't come through either). Love, Mighoula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, it must not have come through. It never showed up in the pending comments. Blogger is like that sometimes :-/ Glad you liked the little poem! Figured it'd be something cute and a little different from what I usually do here. And since it was just before Christmas it seemed very fitting. Speaking of Burton's take on the Wonka story, I really loved that movie. It seems really underrated. I think a lot of people are just too attached to the original movie (which I also love). Anyway, I can see why the movie had you thinking of the dolls. So colorful and candy-coated and over the top! Just like the dolls! I really can't overstate just how much I adore these two. I kinda wish every Ula would have the massive, inhuman eyes from now on! I think Santa was looking over my shoulder, while holding a four leaf clover, while rubbing a rabbit's foot! XD

      Got your Cat comment and responded, but I'll say it again anyway because I'm in the spirit -- Happy New Year, Mighoula! :D

      Delete